The 2019 Democratic primary

Colter Adams, Politics & Opinion Editor

You are probably familiar with the 2020 Democratic primary- think Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, the Green New Deal and Medicare-for-all. However, there is a lesser-known Democratic primary kicking off right here, in Falls Church City.

This November, incumbent State Senator, Dick Saslaw, will attempt to fend off a challenge from Yasmine Taeb, an activist and human rights attorney running to his left. The primary will pit Taeb’s brand of populist progressivism against Saslaw’s establishment conservatism and could play a role in shaping the direction of the party in the wake of the current leadership crisis.

The Falls Church City League of Women Voters will be hosting a forum for Senate District 35 and Arlington/Falls Church Commonwealth Attorney candidates on Sunday, April 7, from 3:00-5:00 pm in the George Mason High School Auditorium. This event serves as an invaluable opportunity for Mason students to get involved in local politics and ask the candidates’ questions, particularly for seniors old enough to vote.

Candidates for Senate District 35

Yasmine Taeb profile

Yasmine Taeb came to the United States as an undocumented immigrant, became a citizen, a lawyer, and a Democratic activist. She has more than 10 years of legislative and policy experience and is running to represent Virginia’s 35th District. (Photo via Twitter)

Dick Saslaw speaks in the Virginia Senate chamber

Dick Saslaw currently serves Virginia’s 35th Senate District and as a Democratic Leader in the Senate of Virginia. While in office, Saslaw has successfully defended Medicaid expansion, gun violence prevention measures, and reproductive rights. He served in the U.S. Army for two years prior to earning a B.S. in economics. (Photo via www.dicksaslaw.com)

Candidates for Arlington/Falls Church Commonwealth Attorney

Theo Stamos profile

Theo Stamos is the incumbent Commonwealth Attorney for Arlington County and the City of Falls Church, Virginia, having been elected to that post in 2011. She has successfully prosecuted thousands of cases including capital murder, violent sexual assaults, domestic violence, and drunk driving. Theo has also served on various State Bar organizations and in the PTA. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons)

Parisa Dehghani-Tafti profile

Parisa Dehghani-Tafti, adjunct law professor at Georgetown University and attorney for the Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, has worked in the criminal justice system for over 18 years. She currently serves as Press Chair of the Arlington County Democratic Committee and is a member of the Arlington branch of the NAACP. (Photo via Twitter)

What questions do you have for the Virginia Senate candidates and/or the Commonwealth Attorney candidates?

About the Writer
Colter Adams, Politics & Opinion Editor

Colter Adams is the Lasso's Senior Political Junkie, and Politics/Opinion Editor. He is also a part-time musician and a massive film buff.