No, we’re not all going to die of the coronavirus

A man wears a mask.

Photo by Elora J. Martinez via United States Air Force

Sam Mostow, Sports Editor

Stories about COVID-19, commonly known as the coronavirus, have been spreading around the Internet like wildfire over the course of the past few weeks. Much of the chatter has been spreading false rumors and misconceptions. For this reason, The Lasso is identifying several misconceptions about it and separating fact from fiction.

The coronavirus won’t kill you

To most people, the coronavirus is not lethal. Most of the people who have died of the coronavirus had pre-existing health conditions that weakened their immune systems. You’re more likely to die from the flu than the coronavirus. If a high school student were to get the disease, it most likely wouldn’t kill them and they would recover completely. 

We aren’t getting the coronavirus immediately. 

It’s true that the coronavirus is spreading faster than health officials can handle, but we most likely won’t get the coronavirus for a while. We might not get it at all. Roughly one hundred Americans have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, which sounds scary, but remember that there are more than three hundred fifty million people living in the United States.

Don’t be racist

Yes, the coronavirus originated in China. This does not mean that every Chinese person or person of Chinese descent, or even Asian descent, has the coronavirus. Don’t be racist.

You don’t have to wear a mask in order to not get the coronavirus

You’ve all seen the pictures of people in masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19, so your natural reaction might be to create a supply of masks to keep you safe. However, wearing masks won’t prevent you from getting COVID-19 and just takes away masks from those in hospitals and doctors’ offices who really need them.

Continue your day-to-day life

Unless you have been told differently by your local, state, or federal health care officials, continue your day-to-day life. You don’t have to take sick leave in fear of getting the coronavirus. You don’t need to quarantine yourself to stop yourself from getting the virus. Just continue your day-to-day life until you hear otherwise.

Practicing basic hygiene goes a long way

The best thing you can do to prevent the spread of disease is to wash your hands, cover your coughs and sneezes, and avoid touching your face. People touch their face 3-5 times a minute.