Winter athletes to watch

Felgar at a meet the previous season. (Photo Courtesy of Jack Felgar)

David Miller

Boys Basketball: Hollman Smith

Sophomore Guard Hollman Smith rises up above defenders from Trinity School at Meadow View in Mason’s first game of the season. Smith led Mason with 24 points vs. Trinity.

Smith is a sophomore first year varsity player who started on JV for the second half of his 8th grade year, and all of his freshman year. During that time, he was a top scorer, largely due to his versatility of positions and as a scorer. Already this year, he has shown what he can do by earning a spot as a varsity starter and racking up 21 points per game in his first three games.

Girls Basketball: Elizabeth Dodge and Jenna Short

Caption: Juniors Elizabeth Dodge and Jenna Short’s picture from last year’s picture day. While both were varsity players last year, they are both looking to step up this season in larger roles.
Caption: Juniors Elizabeth Dodge and Jenna Short’s picture from last year’s picture day. While both were varsity players last year, they are both looking to step up this season in larger roles

Dodge and Short are both returning juniors to girls Varsity Basketball, and are known for always working together.

“[They] both have worked really hard in the off season and are off to a great start this year,” Head Coach Michael Gilroy said.

Watch out this season for Short as a key post scorer and Dodge to contribute to the team as a shooter, ball handler, and passer from the wing, and look out for them to work together for scoring opportunities as the season progresses.

Boys Swim: Justin Britton

Senior Justin Britton poses for a photo at a Mason swim meet. Britton is a dedicated swimmer and an important leader on the Mason team.

Senior Justin Britton is a four-year Mason swimmer and a captain for the 2016-2017 season. He is a capable athlete and an indispensable member of the team.

He is a captain this year. He is a strong leader for his teammates and an essential member of the relay teams,” said assistant swim coach, Melissa Raeder.

Britton is committed to the team and to improving his abilities, evident in his training six days a week. He came in first place in 50 freestyle, his best stroke, at the first meet of the season. Overall, Britton is a strong leader and certainly the swimmer to watch this winter.

Girls Swim: Hannah Rollins

Junior Hannah Rollins swims across the pool at a Mason meet. Rollins is a fundamental part of her team and is a great leader for them.

Junior Hannah Rollins is a captain of the swim team this year and for good reason. She’s been a swimmer for Mason for three years and is one of the most successful swimmers on the team.

“She swims with determination and is a strong leader,” said Raeder.

At their meet of the season, Rollins came in first in the 100 backstroke and the 100 freestyle. Rollins is an important member of the team and is expected to lead her team to success this season. She’s definitely a swimmer to watch out for.

Wrestling: Jack Felgar

Sophomore Jack Felgar is a team captain this year. After the graduation of all of the captains from the 2015-16 season, Felgar stepped up to fill the void. He is a great leader for the team of new wrestlers this year because he’s been wrestling for the past five years, since he was in sixth grade. With a record of 22-10 last year, he was on the road to states until he was injured towards the end of the regular season last year. This year, he has a record of 9-3. This season is sure to be success for Felgar and he is the wrestler to watch.