Sembera shoots to score

Allyson Kryk

With four consecutive state championship wins, it is no secret that the Mason soccer program has a reputation for winning.  But, in order to maintain their legacy each year, the players have to put in many extra hours to train and practice.  Senior midfielder Olo Sembera is a player that has shown commitment to the game and is predicted to be a key player in the upcoming season.

Sembera has been on Mason’s varsity soccer team since his freshman year and has had 28 goals and 32 assists in the 2015 and 2016 season.  In the 2016 season, he had 11 goals and 18 assists as a left midfielder.  Sembera was also awarded First Team All-District, First Team All-Conference and Second Team All-Region for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.  

“Coaches make us work hard,” Sembera said. “[They] push us to get the best out of everyone at practice. We are constantly competing against each other to prove ourselves.”

The friendly competition between the players helps them be prepared when they face other teams, especially larger schools.  Individually, the players have to work on their fitness, their ball handling skills, and their scoring in order to be ready to on top of their game.

“Olo has a great shot and the attacking mindset that it takes to be successful scoring goals on a consistent basis,” head coach Frank Spinello said.

The close knit dynamic of the boys soccer team allows the players to be able to work together as a unit on the field.

“Olo has always been committed to his teammates and coaches and has contributed immensely to the success of the team over the last five years,” senior forward Riley Marcus said.

In his final season as a Mason soccer player, Sembera’s personal goals include keeping an undefeated streak and continuing the legacy by making it to the State Championship for the fifth consecutive time.

The first scrimmage is against Jeb Stuart at the Mason field on March 7 at 7:30 p.m.