Sensharma leaves a legacy of engaging and passionate learning

Back to Article
Back to Article

DuBro_SensharmaHelping_Photo1: Dr. Nisha Sensharma working with a freshman student in the library. Sensharma has been teaching world civilizations and geography II and SL and HL Psychology for over tens years at Mason. Next year, she will teach psychology, government, and a research class at Wakefield High School in Arlington. (Photo by Laura Whitaker)

Anna DuBro

Dr. Sensharma works with a student in the library.

From seminar style classes and passionate class discussions, to relaxing meditations and mindfulness exercises, it is obvious that Dr. Sensharma brings a number of things to the Mason community.

“Dr. Sensharma is so sweet and kind and she cares so much about her students… She is always so helpful and really wants you to succeed and understand,” said Maeve Donnelly, a senior who has had Dr. Sensharma for two years.

Next year, Dr. Sensharma will be working at Wakefield High School in Arlington, VA. There, she will teach psychology, government, and a research class, about which she is particularly excited.

Sensharma is known for always pushing her students to challenge the status quo and valuing her students’ opinions, thoughts, voices, and ideas; but most notable to many is her passion and drive for the pursuit of knowledge.

Dr. Sensharma has worked at George Mason High School for 11 years, with her own two children going through the FCCPS system. She teaches world civilizations and geography II and IB Psychology. Before working at GM, Dr. Sensharma worked as a researcher, studying human response on indoor environments.

When asked what her favorite thing about being a teacher was, she revealed that it was difficult to pinpoint one exact thing. She finally said that she loved seeing when a student becomes excited about what they are learning, and excited to learn new things.

“[As a teacher] I enjoy the content, obviously… But I think that the main thing I hope is [for] students to get is the ability to think,” Dr. Sensharma said.

“It has been a great eleven years and I’m glad I’m graduating with… the class of 2017,” Dr. Sensharma said of her departure.

After her classroom was subjected to serious sewage odor problems throughout the year, Dr. Sensharma has been without a permanent classroom for the majority of the 2016-2017 school year. She cites one of the reasons that she started looking at other schools as her increased trouble with headaches.

Despite this obstacle, Dr. Sensharma is looking forward to continue following her passion for engaging in passionate and driven conversations at a new school, and pick up her previous research practices.