Volleyball finishes in Regionals for third straight year

From left to right: junior setter Evelyn Duross, junior outside hitter McKenzie Brady, junior libero Shea Ruyak, freshman right side hitter Roza Gal, and senior setter Bella Ashton come into the center after a point (photo courtest of Carol Sly

Rachel Doornbosch

The George Mason volleyball team (13-8) advanced into the 2017 post-season with tremendous momentum. After beating long-time rivals and returning district champion team Rappahannock County on Tuesday October 24, they were sure to win it all.

They went on to upset Clarke County, another rival team, in four sets on Monday October 30 and were to face Madison County for the District Tournament Championship. Despite the long fight on Wednesday November 1, the Mustangs fell 2-3, placing them second seed in districts.

The girls volleyball team hosted Robert E. Lee on Saturday November 4 for the first round of the Region Tournament. They stayed competitive for most of the match, finishing just behind Lee and scoring 23-25 in the first two sets, however as the third set played out, the Mustangs shut down and trailed 14-25.

The 3-0 loss marked the third year in a row since the Mustangs dropped in the first round of the Region Tournament, and the second year that they defeated by Robert E. Lee.

“Volleyball’s a big momentum game and we talk about trying to be consistent instead of emotional…We got in a little rut and it’s hard to come out of that mentally,” head coach Hillary Trebels told the Falls Church News Press earlier this month.

The girls volleyball team, with 10 returners, were most proud of shutting down their biggest rivals, Clarke County and Rappahannock County, both teams that have challenged the end of their seasons in years past.

“We haven’t beat [Rappahannock] in seven years, but we beat them the two times we played them this season and I think that was awesome. It brought up everyone’s spirit and it was great,” junior outside hitter Riley Ruyak said.

Ruyak, along with setter Evelyn Duross and outside hitter McKenzie Brady made First-Team All-District.

This past season was a great experience for varsity volleyball, and the team really enjoyed playing together. Even though they are losing seven seniors, the girls are excited for what next year will bring.

“Next year, I think we’re gonna be bringing up a lot of people from JV, but I know a lot of them are playing club and I think they will really be able to step up next year,” Ruyak said.