Field Hockey makes history at State Quarter Final

Senior midfielder Lydia Grund after sending the passing the ball during the Northumberland game on Monday, October 25. This was the field hockey team’s final game of the regular season which resulting in a 6-0 win. The Mustangs went on all the way to the State quarterfinal game. (Photo Courtesy of Carol Sly)

Anna Tarter

This fall has been both a memorable and successful season for the George Mason field hockey team. From competing in States for the first time in field hockey history at Mason to marking the first cycle of seniors who have been with the team since eighth grade, this season has certainly been one for the books.  

It’s unreal to think that just five years ago, field hockey was in its first year as a varsity sport and that we went to States this year…It’s incredibly exciting and gives us a great sense of accomplishment,” senior midfielder Lydia Grund said.

The field hockey team’s efforts have certainly reaped the rewards this season, as they travelled to Virginia beach for the State Tournament on Saturday, November 11 to face Tabb, three-time state champions.

Another impressive game this fall was the game versus Wakefield on Monday, October 2 where Mason took the win 3-0 despite the fact that it was Wakefield’s senior night.

This 2017 season was also the last season for Coach Amanda Crider, who coached the team from 2013 with a record of 2-12, to now, with a record of 11-8.

“It’s been very cool to see the program and its benefits. I look forward to tracking it from afar,”  Coach Crider said about the future of the field hockey team at Mason.

Although the field hockey team is still very new, the hard work and devotion the team and coaches have put forth has already shown significant results. The field hockey team will continue to improve despite the loss of nine skilled seniors, three on defense and six on offense. This year’s class of seniors were the first official group to have the opportunity to go from eighth graders to seniors on the field hockey team, and they will be missed.