12 days of festive films

Back to Article
Back to Article

12 days of festive films

Ciara Curtin

Day 1: Elf: Living at the North Pole amongst elves his whole life, human Buddy (Will Ferrell) is shocked to learn his true identity. Buddy decides to travel to the magical land of New York City to find his real father, encountering many new and exciting experiences along the way. A hysterical and heartfelt journey of self discovery, this quotable movie is a must watch, whether you’ve never heard of it or watch it every year.   

Day 2: The Santa Clause: The first and best movie of the beloved trilogy, watch as dad Scott Calvin magically begins transforming into Santa, and the beauty of the North Pole is displayed on the big screen.

Day 3: It’s a Wonderful Life: “I wish I had never been born” is an expression that has been used and altered in film and books for years. “It’s a Wonderful Life” shows the classic story of this expression, following the life of frantic and forlorn George Bailey, a loan banker in the 1940s who wishes he had never been born. An angel is sent to grant George’s wish, and show George how different life would be, had he never been there. Powerful and significant, this timeless pick will prove to be worth it through beautiful black and white landscapes that will leave you with a newfound respect for human importance.  

Day 4: Arthur Christmas: Original and surprisingly emotional, the story of how Santa delivers all of the presents is finally told, emphasizing the “no child left behind” motto. A beautiful, animated, tear-inducing story, both happy and sad.    

Day 5: A Christmas Story: Perhaps the most underrated Christmas movie of all time. Little Ralphie Parker navigates a cold and snowy winter evading a ruthless bully and irritable father all while imagining his dream Christmas present. Humorous, nostalgic, and touching, “A Christmas Story” will be loved by young ones and adults alike.

Day 6: The Year Without a Santa Claus:  A 1974 stop motion animation television special, “The Year Without a Santa Claus” follows tired and overworked Santa Claus, as he considers skipping Christmas. This movie details the efforts of Ms. Claus, the elves, and all the people of the world making desperate attempts to get Santa to change his mind. This film introduces new iconic characters like Heat Miser and Snow Miser, as well as acts as the perfect Christmas story to watch cozied up by the fire.     

Day 7: Holiday Inn: As the home of favorite Christmas tunes like “White Christmas” and “Happy Holiday,” it doesn’t get much more classic than this movie. With an 100% on “Rotten Tomatoes,” the genius of this comedic and mysterious intertwined love story speaks for itself.    

Day 8: The Polar Express: A movie that will most definitely get you into the holiday spirit, while perhaps making you cry in the process. Based on the beloved children’s book, a young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole to discover that “seeing is believing.” Stunning animation and profound themes will be treasured far beyond the 1 hour and 40 minute film itself.  

Day 9: White Christmas: Featuring icons like Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney, this holiday hit is a staple to the season. Set in 1950s Vermont, two male singers team up with a sister act to save the inn of the boys’ World War II commander, as he financially struggles to manage. The delightful music of Irving Berlin will leave you singing all throughout the holidays.    

Day 10: The Muppet Christmas Carol: The classic Charles Dickens tale…with a twist! The Muppets bring this story to life while Scrooge receives visits from Christmas Past, Present, and Future. As silly as it may sound, you will not want to miss this one. Watch this movie for some incredibly written music, humorous entertainment, and a reminder of what Christmas is all about.      

Day 11: Home Alone 2: Lost In New York: Following the first Christmas movie of the Home Alone series, sarcastic youngster Kevin McCallister loses track of his family and accidentally boards a plane to New York, rather than the family destination of Florida. Being alone in the big city doesn’t stop Kevin, and his typical shenanigans ensue, until he comes across the Sticky Bandits, criminals who escaped prison following the first movie. Kevin knows that “you can’t mess with kids on Christmas,” and does all that he can to stop from robbing a toy store. The perfect setting for a well made movie.    

Day 12: Charlie Brown Christmas: In this Peanuts classic, gloomy Charlie Brown can’t seem to get into the holiday spirit. He is advised to direct the Christmas play and pick out a Christmas tree to help get him out of his funk, but Charlie’s gloom returns when he is mocked and made fun of for the tree he choses. Accompanied with a great soundtrack, this shorter pick presents an important message about the true meaning of Christmas.