Love Running: Valentine’s Day 5k at Mason this Saturday

From+left+to+right%3A+Danielle+Welch+%2811%29%2C+Korinne+Wills%2C+Lauren+Baartz+%2810%29+and+Charlotte+Crum+%2811%29.+Baartz+ran+for+the+4x4+team+at+States+in+2017.+
From left to right: Danielle Welch (11), Korinne Wills, Lauren Baartz (10) and Charlotte Crum (11). Baartz ran for the 4x4 team at States in 2017.

Rachel Doornbosch

Since last spring, the class of 2020 has been piloting the MYP Personal Project; a year-long project that is spent on doing something students are passionate about. The students will display their projects in a showcase on March 13.

Inspired by her sister, Jacqueline, who participated in both cross country and track at GM, sophomore Lauren Baartz developed an interest in running herself. She started to run at her old school and is planning to start her second year of track at GM in the spring.

It’s this inspired love of running which has led her to her MYP Personal Project, a Valentine’s Day themed 5k fun run that will serve as a fundraiser for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Arlington. The event, titled “Love Running,” will take place this Saturday, February 10, on the GM track and starts at 9:00 a.m.

From left to right: Danielle Welch (11), Korinne Wills, Lauren Baartz (10) and Charlotte Crum (11). Baartz ran for the 4×4 team at States in 2017. (Photo courtesy Lauren Baartz)

The run is sponsor-based which means that the run itself is free, but every participant is encouraged to get themselves sponsored for walking or running the 5k by family members or friends. These family members or friends can thereafter donate on the website.

“I came up with this idea because I wanted to complete a project that was meaningful to me and that would also incorporate my interests. I love to run, and I really wanted to use my love for running in a positive way … it brings the school community together as well. It shows that people take time out of their day to come support a cause,” sophomore Lauren Baartz said.

The cause that is supported is St. Jude Children’s Research hospital. St. Jude’s is a hospital dedicated to helping children fighting cancer and finding a cure.

“I chose this specific hospital because it is a cause that is personal and means a lot to me as I had a family member who suffered from cancer. I really wanted to take this opportunity that the MYP Project provides to support this hospital,” Baartz said.

“Come out mainly to support the cause, tell your friends, and it is also a good workout in the morning if you just wanted to.”

Interested in donating, participating or do you have any questions?

Email [email protected] for more information.